Thursday, March 8, 2012

Letter from March 7

We had changes last week and I am now in Huánuco, it’s the city farthest away from Lima in the mission.  It has been a great area to work in.  The members are awesome, the people are very nice and receptive, and the weather is perfect like Southern California weather.  I don’t know how I lucked out because I thought it was a sure thing that I was going to be changed to Lima.  Some of the missionaries give me a hard time because I have been in Province so long.  I could break the record for the longest time in Province  ha I love the area!  We are going to have a ton of success because it really is a very blessed area and the people are so willing to accept the gospel.  My companion is the Man! His name is Elder Quispe, he is from Perú and he is in his last change.  He was the President’s assistant a couple weeks ago and now we are zone leaders together here in Huanuco.  I am very excited for the opportunity to learn from him.  He teaches so well and knows how to get to the heart of the people we teach.  He just left the office so he has a desire to work hard this change.  It should be great! The pensionista is awesome.  The only problem is I had to eat whale one day.  That was tough, but I didn’t tell her that I didn’t like fish before that so it was my fault.  Oh good times.

Right now I am in Lima for conference with President, and it was the best.  After the conference today we played basketball, but it was only the Americans and the President, all the Latinos went to play soccer, but this time I chose to play basketball.  I haven’t played in a while, but it was a good time!  The bad part about conference is that we had to travel in a bus for 9 hours to get here and tomorrow we will be in the bus for 9 hours more.

Last conference that we had in Lima, the President taught us to challenge the people in the first contact to be baptized.  Well after the conference we went out to proselyte here in Lima.  I went with Elder Norris and Elder Brown. We contacted a young lady that was in a park and we talked with her for a few minutes and explained that we were there to teach her the gospel of Jesus Christ and to baptize her.  She said she would prepare to be baptized and gave us her address to visit her.  We gave the reference to the missionaries that work in that area.  Well yesterday when we got her for conference I received news that she had been baptized this past weekend.  It was so great to hear.  It was a huge testimony builder for me to see that if we put into practice what our leaders teach, us we will see miracles and we will come out successful. Thanks for your support, I love you all!

Elder Riggs

No comments:

Post a Comment