Thursday, March 22, 2012

Letter from March 19

To start off this week we had conference here in Huànuco with President Ardila and his wife, it was great as always.  He trained us a lot on challenging the people to be baptized the first time that we meet them. It’s a little surprising to me because it must mean we are getting close to the second coming.  A contact now only counts when we tell the person that we are there to teach them the gospel and to baptize them. The reaction of some people at first is pretty funny.  I enjoy it though, because it helps us as missionaries to find the people that really are prepared to receive the gospel, because a lot of times as missionaries we teach people a long time that really don’t have the intentions of progressing or being baptized.  The good news is that it is working.  I would like to share an experience that I had yesterday.  We were in divisions, my companion was in another area with another missionary, and I was in our area with a kid my age.  While we were contacting and teaching yesterday three people accepted to be prepared for a baptism, and the three of them were contacts that we talked to in the street yesterday or earlier in the week.  I was very happy because there was about a half an hour when we were contacting and it seemed like no one really wanted to accept.  I said a little pray in my heart so that we could be guided to someone that would accept the gospel and would be happy to listen to us.  A few minutes after that prayer we were able to find a mother and her son who was about 30 years old, the happily received us and at the end of the lesson she accepted our invitation to be baptized.

Another great experience this week were the baptisms that we were able to have.  I explained to you guys a little bit about Edith and her kids last week, well the made the decision and were baptized on Saturday.  I had the privilege of baptizing two of her kids, it was a very spiritual experience and their testimonies were so powerful.  Jorge was also baptized, he is a guy that’s about 32 years old, and he is the man.  I didn’t get to teach him much, but the little bit I know him, he is the MAN!  He is a lawyer and he sure can make some tough questions for us as missionaries, the spirit is definitely needed when teaching him.  This week we have Evelin with a baptismal date, but we will have to see because she hasn’t come to church for a couple of weeks.  Her husband is a member but she isn’t, she has a date for the 24th, but it looks like it will be postponed a week or two, we will continue to pray for her and hope for the best.

Last Monday for P-day we went to a small temple that was built by ancient people.  It was pretty cool to see.  I tell you what, the history of the Americas and the “Book of Mormon” sure seem to match up, I would enjoy studying ancient history in the Americas.  I know right now you are all saying, where is Skylar? He couldn’t have written what he just said. haha and today for P-day, we are playing soccer!! This time we are playing the Zone of Huanuco against the Zone of Amarilis, it should be sweet, and my good friend Elder Norris is in the other zone!  Good times! I love you all very much!!  Hope you’re doing great!!  

Elder Riggs

No comments:

Post a Comment