Well I had a change! I am now in La Merced!!! The jungle believe it or not!! It’s awesome, it’s totally green as you could imagine and it’s pretty hot and humid as well. We have already encountered a huge bug/animal/beast last night haha! It was some huge flying thing that entered into the chapel last night.
The areas here are way spread out, in my last area in Chosica, the entire zone was within 20 or 25 minutes of each other, not much traveling. But here it is soooo spread out. To give you an example, I was told my area is 45 minutes to an hour from the next area. So we will be traveling a little more on P-days and days of zone meetings. I can’t lie though, it’s going to be a great experience.
And now the second part of the news that is way crazy and a little scary….. I am Training! To give a little detail, the first two changes of your mission are considered training. This is when you have a trainer showing you the ropes and helping you out. My training was my first two changes with Elder Alvarez when I was walking around half dumb, (more dumb than usual if you were wondering) because I didn’t really know what was going on, or what to do, and I couldn’t speak Spanish very well. Anyway I got the call the night of changes after President finished the changes and they told me I was going to be training here in La Merced. I was nervous when I heard, because my Spanish is alright but not perfect, and I don’t feel like I’m ready. But if the Lord thinks I’m ready then I guess I am. My comps name is Elder Moreno from Trujillo, Peru. He just got out of the MTC a couple days ago. He seems like an awesome kid. A little different than the other comps I have had, but I’m positive we will get along just fine. I just remember how much I learned in my first few changes and I hope I can help him to get off the mission on the right foot. I decided I may not know a lot, and my Spanish may not be perfect, but I can teach him how to work hard and obey the rules with exactness, and how to have some fun, while obeying the rules of course. These things I do know how to do and I will try my best everyday. The changes were a little weird here too, President basically changed the whole zone here in La Merced, that is why me and my comp and basically opening up the area of Pichinaki. That’s the name of my area. There were two missionaries in our area before, but President took them both out and put in my comp and I. From what the zone leaders said La Merced has been struggling, and some of the missionaries haven’t been working as hard as they should. Our area has been a struggle, they had one baptism in 3 months. But I know if we work hard we can have more than that, cause from the couple days I have had in Pichanaki there are people willing to listen. We will have a problem with marriage, the majority of the people aren’t married, but we will do all we can to help the investigators we find to marriage. I’m stoked to get going. It’s going to be tough work at first because there are only a couple investigators, and the ward isn’t way strong, lots of less active members, but with time and work it will all come together. Crazy stuff, but I’m stoked!
It was weird to leave Chosica, I have been there for over 4 months. I was a little sad, especially to leave my pension and her family, that was actually a little hard surprisingly. Well that’s my news for the week. It was a great conference and I hope you enjoyed it. Gotta go time is up. I love you much.
Elder Riggs
No comments:
Post a Comment