I’m excited to write you and let you know what’s going on in the small city of La Oroya, Antigua. As I told you last week we are teaching a family of 3, Elvis, Liz, and their 2 year old son. They have been prepared by God. They are so excited for their wedding and baptism. They are having some financial problems and have some things they need to pay off, but he was able to find a job and they are planning to get the money for those things and also for their wedding. Their wedding date has been postponed until March 16 to be able to have the money and everything necessary. They have a ton of faith and are showing their faith by the actions they are taking to get married and baptized. Elvis came to church yesterday, Liz didn’t because she was pretty sick, but they are progressing so much. They really have been reading the “Book of Mormon” so much. The only worry is that I have been here in La Oroya for awhile and changes are around the corner. We will have to see what happens, but the important part is that they are happy and following the Savior. Other than that we have been contacting a lot and working with the members to find new investigators, the Lord is blessing us and I really believe that we will see a lot of success here pretty soon. It’s a very humble city, but I love it. Yesterday we ate with a member that lives in one of the most humble homes i have ever seen. She lives in a little room and has everything in the little room, her bed, her kitchen, and everything else. It always surprises me to see things like that, it goes to show how much we really have. I think the Lord wants to teach me that you don’t need money to be happy and to be strong in the gospel. We just need to do what we are supposed to do and the Lord will provide for our needs.
This week we went to Junin. It’s a city about 40 minutes away. We went there to check up on the missionaries and see how they were doing. It’s something the President is asking us to do now. It’s a little hard in this zone because we have to travel a ton to do it, but it seems to be helping out. Anyway, when we were coming back to la Oroya we were riding on a bus and noticed a North American (Which here is extremely rare), and there just so happened to be an open seat next to her, we sat down and began to talk. It is the second American I have spoken to in the field that hasn’t been a missionary. She is here with peace core; basically they help out the communities and do service projects. We spoke in English the whole time, and man was it a struggle. I was talking just normal until I started talking about the church. Then it seemed as though I was a kid recently learning English. I threw in what I like to call the Spanglish, along with the Peruvian accent that you all say I have. Oh good times! Talk to you soon!
Elder Riggs
This week we went to Junin. It’s a city about 40 minutes away. We went there to check up on the missionaries and see how they were doing. It’s something the President is asking us to do now. It’s a little hard in this zone because we have to travel a ton to do it, but it seems to be helping out. Anyway, when we were coming back to la Oroya we were riding on a bus and noticed a North American (Which here is extremely rare), and there just so happened to be an open seat next to her, we sat down and began to talk. It is the second American I have spoken to in the field that hasn’t been a missionary. She is here with peace core; basically they help out the communities and do service projects. We spoke in English the whole time, and man was it a struggle. I was talking just normal until I started talking about the church. Then it seemed as though I was a kid recently learning English. I threw in what I like to call the Spanglish, along with the Peruvian accent that you all say I have. Oh good times! Talk to you soon!
Elder Riggs
No comments:
Post a Comment