Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Letter from October 31

Well I´m in a new area now with a new companion and a new calling.  Last Monday night, I received a phone call from President Ardila.  We talked for a few minutes about my area and how things were going.  I told him that things were going great and that we had a few baptisms for the weekend.  He then responded and told me, well Elder Riggs, tell your companion that he needs to continue helping those investigators so that they can be baptized, because I have some news for you.  He told me that the Lord trusted a lot in me and that he had called me to be a zone leader. After he told me, he asked me how I felt.  I responded truthfully and told him that I felt surprised.  And now I am found in the Province of la Oroya, my area is called Marcavalle, and the Zone is called Tarma.  Boy is it cold here. It’s up in the Andes Mountains, but i have plenty of clothes and a heater in our room, so don’t worry. Also I have been blessed with a companion that likes to run.  How cool is that!  He is Peruvian, my third Peruvian companion. We have gone out running already and man did it feel good.  We went about 15 to 20 minutes and I didn’t die. I don’t think too many people here have seen awhite boy run, because I heard quite a few people say “Corre Gringo, Corre” (run, white boy, run) ha good times!

When I left the area of Pilcomayo it was a little sad.  I have to say I have really gotten used to coming and going so it wasn’t too hard, although I feel like the members and converts were such good friends to me.  Tuesday we had some appointments and I had a chance to say goodbye to a few of my converts and the members.  A few people cried pretty hard when I told them that I was leaving.  If you remember I told you about older couple that lived in very humble conditions, well they both ended up crying pretty hard.  I felt sad too, but it’s part of the mission.  I also visited Flor and her daughters with Sister Mari. Then my pensionista, she also cried a little bit.  The grandma that lives there and eats with us as well, well she didn’t cry but she did ask me for a bottle of my pee and she was dead serious.  WHAT?? I didn’t end up leaving it though. I acted like I had forgotten. ha  I will always have a great memory of Pilcomayo and will always remember the great people that live there.  

As for my new area, I enjoy it a lot.  Saturday we had a baptism.  It was good to see.  I had to leave a few baptisms in my other area but came here to a baptism.  So I can’t complain.  I’m in a mining city.  We have quite a few investigators. I know we will have success here.  I hope that we can help the zone out and improve in the month of November.  I should be a great change! I´m excited!  Well that’s about it, hope all is well and I love you all very much!

Elder Riggs

No comments:

Post a Comment