Saturday, May 5, 2012

Letter from May 2


We had conference this week here in Lima. Let me just start by telling you that it was the best conference that I have had in my mission.  The training from President Ardila was awesome.  He explained the importance of studying, meditating and applying the scriptures.  We as missionaries and members need to not only read the scriptures, but try to understand them and learn the teachings that they give us.  He also talked about the importance of being a good example for other missionaries.  He explained that the easiest way to teach someone is by being an example.  I think that has been one of the greatest lessons I am learning here in the mission. Well the training ended at about 4 yesterday and we celebrated.  Last month we baptized 250 in the mission, which is the highest number of baptisms that we have had in the mission for a very long time.  We usually baptize about 160 to 180.  The President was very happy and  took us to a water park.  It was a little different than a Raging Waters water park, it was like water fountains and waters shows and things like that.  It was awesome, we were there for like 3 hours and we all had a great time.  There were so many people there too, it was a little different, but I definitely loved it. I got some good pictures too!  Tonight our bus leaves back to Huanuco.  I’m excited to get back to our area working.  I don’t enjoy traveling at nights though.

I have some great news, this past week Evelin accepted a baptismal date.  She passed her interview and is excited to be baptized this Saturday!  She is already very excited about going to the temple and being sealed.  We are also teaching a kid named Christian, he is 19 years old and is a reference of a member. We are slowing working with all of his family and we have baptized 2 of his cousins, he accepted to be baptized this month and could be a future missionary!  We are also working with a few couples that aren´t married, but I think from the two that we are working with, we will see a marriage this month.  One of the lady’s is named Marleni, her husband was baptized as a kid, but left the church. However, now he wants to return and his wife wants to be baptized. The only challenge will be the wedding, but I know the Lord will help.  The other lady’s name is Violeta,  She has been attending for quite some time, but she isn´t married and her husband travels a lot.  She wants to be baptized though and although her husband hasn´t attended church, she says that he wants to get married as well.  We will see how things go.  They are the ones that are progressing a lot and I’m hoping they will be baptized this month. Once again I am LOVING my area in Huanuco. I couldn’t ask for a better area.  The people are so great when we contact them and teach them. That’s about it for this week.  Love you all!

Elder Riggs

No comments:

Post a Comment