Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Letter from August 8

A lot has changed since last week, and I’m excited to share it with all of you! I am no longer in the jungle.  It was pretty hard to leave.  That has got to be one of the hardest parts of the mission, leaving an area.  It was definitely hardest to leave my pensionista and her family, they are my family away from home.  I have been blessed to have 2 wonderful pensionistas. But now for the news, I am in Huancayo, in the mountains of Peru!  I’m in a city called Pilcomayo!  It’s a pretty big city with just us two missionaries. It’s cold here. Haha be careful what you ask for, because I wanted to leave the hot weather. I am doing good though. We don’t have a ton of investigators here so we are asking for references and contacting, but I’m sure it will come along in no time. The good news is we have investigators that are progressing and the members are very excited and are giving lots of references.  I have a new companion, his name is Elder Mendez and he is from Colombia. It might be a little bit harder this change, he doesn’t like to contact, and doesn’t have the best attitude. But I’m sure we will be just fine, we haven’t had any problems, and I’m sure we won’t either, we just got to help him get a little more excited about things.

I was also called to be District leader. I’m pretty excited for that. For those of you that don’t know, I now get to do the baptismal interviews for the guys in my district, teach the class in the district meeting, make phone calls to see how the other areas are doing and I will be doing divisions with the other missionaries in my district.  I am grateful for the opportunity. It will help me progress and work more with the missionaries in the district.  I was a surprised when I heard and a little nervous, but it should be good!

On Friday, we had a mission night at the church, it’s when the members come and bring investigators.  We usually share a message and have an activity.  I was a little stressed because we don’t have many investigators, but then entered a man, and he sat down to listen as I was sharing a message, I thought he was a member because I don’t know the members very well yet, but to my surprise he wasn’t.  I sat down and began to talk with him. Come to find out, he lives across the street and had a feeling to come to the church and enter. He had never come before.  He continued to tell me that he has everything he needs, but he still feels empty inside, and he felt like the church could help him.  His name is Carlos. It was a great experience cause it helped me to know that the Lord really prepares people in our area for us.  I was so grateful to see it. I know that He wants me to have success and He is putting people in our path.

Elder Riggs

No comments:

Post a Comment