Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Skylar's Letter: Peru Week One!!!

Hey Everyone!! Wow do i got a lot to tell you guys.. Ha i just got back from going into the city for the first time because we had to fill out some information, but wow!! if you think driving is bad anywhere in the US, you have absolutely no idea.. I remember Nelli telling me about how bad the driving was down here but you cant explain it in words..  For the first time of my life i was actually pretty scared to ride in a car.  People do what they want, when they want.. everyone is honking all the time, and they will pull in front of you and cut you off whenever they want.  No one cares.  Its so crazy! but definitely a good experience, haha now that i am back safe. 

Later today i get to go to the temple, and after we get to go through the city and shop around and take pictures.  Which i am stoked for because i am pretty dang hungry most of the time..  We are planning on hittin up the McDonalds if we get the chance!  Speaking of food, the food here is pretty good.  I have learned to not waste anything.  I eat everything on my plate whether i like it or not, because thats just the culture here, and you only get to go through the line once, so it´s a little different.  But the food is actually been really good, a few things i have had to force down.  But overall really good!  We eat rice just about everymeal, and tons of chicken and meat.  They also have lots of potatoes and different kinds of sauces they put on the chicken, meat, and rice, which are extremely good!  The only problem is it doesn´t feel me up to much.  Most of the american companions feel the same way.  The other night a few of us were joking around because we had food we had to leave in Provo cause we didn´t have enough room to pack in, but now that we are here, we wish we would have let clothes and brought the food instead..  But its really not as bad as it sounds, and today when we get to shop around i am going to stock up for sure.  I feel so much healthier eating this food though, and i am not having the same gas and bathroom problems i was having in provo.. Believe it or not..  So that is definitely a plus..... 

As far as the mtc here it is still going really good.  Man, spanish is gettin really hard, but i have improved so much.  I can now comunicate with my companion pretty well, and we also get along way well!  It´s funny cause he has the worst A.D.D.. haha i thought i had ADD, but not even close compared to him.. Ha me and Elder Rickenbach ( one of my buddies that is actually from smithfield) just sat back and watched him during a fireside we had and it was hilarious.  He has to be doing something all the time, and he acts just like a little kid.. I seriously love it though!  He has helped me so much with my spanish and i am so grateful for that!  All the latino´s are way cool!  Their humor is that of a 1st grader, so it can get old, but its funny to try and here them talk in english..  My companion now knows how to say quite a few phrases.  Including Whats up, Hey your looking good! and I dont speak english! haha its way funny!  My teachers here are way cool too, they don´t know hardly any english, but suprisingly we can understand pretty much all of their spanish! But they are way awesome!! 

Gym here is awesome! soccer is the best!! Seriously, i love it! we get to play soccer everyday for about an hour..  Well except for sunday and monday, ha monday was an experience.. We went out to the soccer field for gym time and there was a gym there with a whistle.  he took us through all these exercise drills and whatnot, but he was hilarious!  He was yelling and blowing his whistle and getting way into it.. I felt just like i was in the army there for a little while!  First they buzzed my head.. Now this!!!  haha it was definitely a good time though.. Oh boy am i out of shape though.. Nothin like i was, but the good thing is the weight that i gained in Provo i have pretty much already lost here.. So i probably wont gain much if any weight on my mission here in Peru, which i am pretty stoked about.. Oh and i actually love having my hair buzzed!! its sweet!! except for the part that i am extremely worried that i am going bald!  I seriously think i will go bald!  Not that there is anything wrong with that.. But i just don´t wont to go bald!! haha..

Other than that we teach lessons everyday, all in spanish.. the first day i had absolutely no idea what was going on cause all the latinos talk so fast.. But it has gotten so much better.. I can actually understand them and respond... Some of the time that is!! But its crazy just to see how much i have learned and grown!!! I know i say that a lot but its so true!! I also Really really enjoy the hour of personal study we get during the day.. Thats like my new favorite part of the day.. I read the BOM, which i am over halfway now and i really get into now!! i love reading it and it helps me so much when i actually apply it to my life!! Not too much else is going on other than that.. In class most of the day, and thats about it.. But yeah everything is awesome!! I can{t wait to go into town here pretty soon and go through the LIma temple!! thats gonna be awesome!!

The weather here is good, its a little chilly sometimes.. but nothin too bad!! I still don't see the sun too much, but the sky does look pretty awesome!! oh and I have found a new best friend!!! The english to spanish dictionary! haha I use that thing all the time now... No joke.. But yeah its good to let you know all that is going on. Everyone have a good one and i will talk to you all soon.. I love and miss all of you!! Oh and by the way, it has pretty much already been a month.. Crazy huh!!! Well, Adios!!

-Elder Riggs

No comments:

Post a Comment