Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Letter from April 16

I completely forgot that it was Easter, and that is not even a joke, ha that’s what happens in the mission sometimes.  I had one of the best weeks ever this past week.  I now have a new companion and he is the MAN of men!  His name is Elder Zambrano, he is from Ecuador, he is one of the most obedient, hardest working missionaries I have seen.  He has been in the mission for 14 months and was recently called as a zone leader.  This week I have seriously learned so much from him and I know I will continue to learn. The best is that we get along so well.  He loves to play soccer and run.  He played one step down from professional in Ecuador, so he plays very well. We have played together before in other zones.   

This week in the ward that I’m serving in, a missionary finished his mission and returned home.  He is a great help to us and has already provided us with many references.  I would like to share with you the experience of one of them.  He introduced us to his cousin Geyman, who is 18 years old and excited to listen.  In the first visit he accepted to be baptized this coming Wednesday! After the visit we arranged another appointment to teach him again. Well when we returned to our surprise he was there with a friend who he had invited to listen to us as well, her name is Heidi.  It was a great lesson and the spirit was definitely present.  In the end she was a still a little confused about all the churches today on the earth and she said she didn’t feel sure if this was the true church or not.  She didn’t want to accept to be baptized until she felt sure.  At the end of the lesson we invited her to offer the prayer and to ask God if what we shared was true.  We all kneeled as she said the prayer.  At the end of her prayer there were tears in her eyes as she went to sit in her chair.  We asked her how she felt and she answered by explaining that she her doubts were gone and that she knew this was the true church here on earth.  She now has a baptismal date for next week.  It was such a great experience to see the spirit working and to see that God answered her prayers. It showed me that if we have sufficient faith, God will answer our prayers and the prayers of our investigators.  Yesterday we also had a great experience with Luzmila, she has a baptismal date for this Sunday. When we arrived at her house after church she was in doubt and told us that she didn’t feel ready to be baptized yet. We had another great lesson and the spirit helped her to see that now was the time to be baptized.  As I told you last week she has been attending almost 2 years.  Well when we left her home she was sure that she wanted to be baptized.  I feel really blessed and grateful for the miracles we have seen in this week.

We have a goal to set up two more people with ‘a baptismal date for this month.  Evelin and  Analia, they are both progressing but havent yet accepted a baptismal date.  Keep them in your prayers.  I also had many questions about whether I’m still giving talks in church and the answer is yes. Yesterday I gave one, I enjoy giving talks, although I still get a little bit nervous even after all this time. I’m pretty sure that this area is going to be my favorite. I want to stay here for a long, long time! Thanks for your support and letters. Take it easy!

Elder Riggs

No comments:

Post a Comment