Hey Family!!
Things here are moving along. Its picking up a little. The language is starting to fly.. I have been blessed so much to be able to pick it up as fast as i have. I study hard every day and have a long way to go but its good to see some success. I understand a lot when people talk.. Not quite everything. But at times very close.. Its
crazy how fast it comes when you live in the culture.. Speaking of the culture im adjusting just fine.. Its crazy how much different it is.. All the houses here in my area are old brick houses, some dirt floors, old and run down.. Its pretty poor here.. Humbling for sure.. I had to come to another continent to realize how much i really have..
Anyway my comp is pretty good. He is a hard worker which i love.. Because i may not know a lot but there is one thing i do know how to do and that is work! I had my first baptism this last saturday! It was a good first experience.. He was 84 and loves the church and studying the scriptures.. When we would teach him and visit him he could talk for days if you didn´t stop him.. Its hilarious.. And when he got confirmed Sunday he went up and had to shake everyone's hand on the stand and say with a loud voice oh gracias hermano, gracias!! It was hilarious.. Then he went to the stand and was aobut to procced to give a talk when the bishop grabbed him and pulled him over to the chair where he sat to be confirmed.. haha good guy!! He is a very loving man though and loves the gospel.. We also have two baptisms this week and 2 the week after, our goal is 5 this month. Its good to have some success. But most of all the most important thing that i have learned over these two weeks is that baptisms are awesome and very important. But more importantly is to watch peoples lives change as we teach them and they apply the gospel to their lives and problems they may be having.. Of course its good to have baptisms, and here its a lot about numbers, how many baptisms, how many lessons, how many contacts, how many new investigadors, how many challenges and more.. But what
really counts is watching their lives change! Thats one thing that i have promised myself i will stay focused on, cause if i do that the baptisms and numbers will come! I have a lot to learn in the lessons and scriptures too, but i will put in the time and pray alot.. altogether its getting better.. Its a little struggle right now..If it
weren´t hard at first i wouldnt really know the joy that it will bring later on, and at times these past few weeks.
Anyway, the food is so much better. Still tons of rice but i am adjusting just fine. much better than the mtc.. When you guys go eat at a peruvian restaurant you have to have rice and some sort of meat and a crazy juice. Cause thats every meal for me. haha!! I am running every couple days with my comp and trying to exercise.., ha i thought i was out of shape but when i run with him i feel in pretty good shape.. Its good to get to walk around all the time too..
In this mission there are about 170 missionarys, of which about 20 percent are North Americans.. I didn't know there were that few.. But yeah. So i will never have an American companion.. its ok though, i pick the language up much faster.. My comp and I work pretty well together most the time.. I am so independent though.. ha after you spend a lot of time with your comp you just want to be alone sometimes. But its good to get different comps so i can learn how to get along with everyone.. I can't complain though, as long as he works thats all that matters to me!
I hope the holidays are rocking for you.. Anyway gotta go! Love you! Bye
Elder Riggs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment